Monday, April 2, 2012

DIY Soccer Ball Cake with Cupcakes!!

   Its been a while again since I have posted. We had a lot of sickness in the house the past month and have been super busy! Its the time of year I tend to get crazy busy with projects, cleaning, organizing, holidays, and outside fun!

   For my first blog back I thought I would post about my recent experience with making a 3D Soccer Ball Cake and cupcakes for my friends little mans 3rd birthday! When she told me she couldn't find an organic cake that still tasted good and didn't want to spend $200+ for a cake the tasted like butter and cardboard, I was intrigued. I knew her little man wanted a soccer ball cake and I spent a long time looking for options. She also sent me a few that I liked. I found this one and the soccer cake here and decided that I wanted to make a 3D soccer ball on top of a round cake that looked like grass with cupcakes around it that were little soccer balls on grass. I even found grass looking cupcake liners.

Here is my journey in making this cake.

I decided to make the soccer ball part out of cake after a disastrous incident with organic marshmallows and Rice Krispies.



I used a Pyrex small bowl because it is oven safe. This is how my torte chocolate cake came out. I froze them. (totally lost picture of before I added the ganache)



Then I made ganache and put the halves together and covered them to make them round and easy to cover in fondant.I forze this again.
I then made fondant and covered it to get this.




I made two round cakes froze and put rasperberry in the middle and covered with homemade green buttercream icing to look like grass.


I also made 30 chocolate cupcakes and covered them with green grass icing.

This is how it looked when I set up the table for Jrs party! Best part is it turned out pretty much like I wanted visually and tasted great!!

I have to say I was pretty proud!

3 comments:

  1. How'd you manage to make the soccer ball cake so round?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept everything pretty cold and kept putting it back into the freezer. it really helped with the ganache as well. it made a smooth hard surface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just realized it doesn't say that I made two half circles with a pyrex round bowl. Yes, pyrex bowls are safe to bake in. It then froze the halves, connected them with raspberry filling (jam), and then added the ganache top to make a hard smooth surface. It was not perfect but with the added fondant, it looks pretty close. :)

    ReplyDelete