Tuesday, April 3, 2012

make your own felt board & pieces!

I made the kids a felt board after going through my old toys and remembering how much fun it was as a kid to have a felt book. I looked around and really like this tutorial I found and went from there.

I made them one using an old picture frame and some black felt. It was what I had and I wanted it to literally be a blank canvas for them. I love it and it hangs in my kids playroom where my awesome brother attached it to the wall for me. I know this isn't ideal for all but kids will love any kind of felt board big or small. It is such an open ended activity and lends itself to adding new things all the time.

I just glued black felt to the "wood" back already part of the frame and took out the glass. Put it all back together and had my brother mount it with some very heavy duty brackets for me.

I am left handed and I don't know if its because of that or just lack of skill but I am not good at cutting things out. So with that in mind I decided to use some non fusible interfacing and trace my kids some letters and stories. The first three stories we have made are five little monkeys, three little pigs, and five little ducks.

 I looked all over using google images and found pictures I liked printed them out and trace using a black fabric marker.
 I then colored the pictures with colored pencils. It actually works and the kids love them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment